Thursday, February 13, 2014

Welcome to your online discussion of The Bookseller of Kabul!

Together with members of your group and students in other sections, you’ll be reading The Bookseller of Kabul over the next several weeks. Although you're not required to take notes while you read, it would be wise to keep track of important events and characters for your own clarification. You are, however, expected to participate regularly and thoughtfully in an online discussion of seven essential questions.

Here's how it works:
Divide your book into two roughly equal halves. You need to have read and blogged about your book by the due dates below.

  • There are two kinds of posts in this discussion: comments and responses.
            Comments = direct answers to the essential questions
    • Post at least SIX comments altogether: at least THREE for the 1st half of reading and at least THREE for the 2nd half.
    • You must comment on at least five essential questions over the course of your reading.
    • You may comment on only two questions more than once.
    • One of your six comments can be a "free response" post.
            Responses = direct responses to another reader’s comment or response
    • Post at at least TEN responses altogether: at least FIVE for the 1st half of reading and at least FIVE for the 2nd half.
  • In addition, you will post at least ONE comment and ONE response to the question about Veils, the Portland Stage Company production on March 6. [Note: If you do not attend this production, you will need to post an additional comment and response to the book questions.]

Due dates:
  • Post your first three comments and five responses by FRIDAY, FEB. 28.
  • Post your final three comments and five responses by TBA (date to be announced in class).
  • Post your comment & response about the play by MONDAY, MARCH 10.
Essential Questions: (for books)
  1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
  2. Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?
  3. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
  4. How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?
  5. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?
  6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live? 
  7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?
** Free-response option: Address another issue/episode/or passage in the book that you find significant.

Essential Question for Veils: (play by Tom Coash at Portland Stage Company)
    The main point of contention between Intisar and Samar in the play is their differing opinions on 
    the practice of veiling. Which character makes the more compelling argument, in your opinion?
    Why?

Assessment: To earn maximum credit, post thoughtful responses that are at least a short paragraph in length—and carefully proofread! Do not misspell characters' or authors’ names! Also, be sure to include specific references to the text (either details or short quotations).

129 comments:

  1. 3. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?

    Many of the characters in "The Bookseller of Kabul" have been affected by the events and changes in society. Throughout much of their lives, they have experienced different social standards for both men and women, as well as changes in resources and permitted behaviors. For example, when the Taliban came into power in 1996, they announced 16 rules everyone must live by. This changed women's lives, as they were not allowed to leave their homes or travel without wearing the burka or being escorted by a male relative. The Taliban was no longer in power by 2001, but characters such as Shakila and her sisters still had to wear the burkas to market when they were shopping. The burka was never required before like it was then; it had not "been used by such large numbers of the population for centuries" (pg. 90). The rules put in place by the Taliban had began a new era of covered-up women. The Taliban had also banned music and dancing at weddings, which greatly detracted from the feasts and celebrations. For example, Shakila and Wakil's wedding was, for some, "the first wedding they [the guests] have celebrated since the Taliban left Kabul, in other words, the first wedding with music and dancing." (pg. 103). Sultan's life was also changed by events in society, as one reform put in place by the Taliban banned the reproduction of pictures, which meant that books containing photos had to be destroyed or hidden. Throughout the years, Sultan also had to bend with the regulations and rules put up by the various regimes that came to power. His bookstores have remained, though, and he has been successful in his business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment #1:
    I think that it is demoralizing that Sultan Khan is so easily allowed to begin a new marriage with Sonya just because he doesn't life that fact that Sharifa is getting old. From Sharifa's point of view I can definitely see how demoralizing it would be to spend your life with someone and then have them decide that you are no longer good enough just because you are aging as everyone does. Although Sultan Khan's family was not pleased with his choice to marry a new woman, he is still able to get away with it because of the culture in Afghanistan. The fact that a wife can just be thrown away like garbage when they are no longer young and beautiful is unjustifiable in any religion or culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; I can certainly understand Sharifa's point of view and opinion of Sonya. If I were in the same situation, I would have a hard time continuing to have to speak with my husband and interact with the new wife. I find it amazing that Sharifa is still able to socialize with Sultan and laugh and share stories with him, such as when he comes to visit her in Pakistan.

      Delete
    2. That is exactly what I was thinking. Of course, with the different traditions that they hold I can understand the second marriage, but I definitely do not find it possible for someone to drop their spouse as easy as Sultan did. I would be so humiliated if an event like this happened to me within the blink of an eye, so like you guys, I also find it kind of inspiring that she is able to continue on being such a loyal wife to the man that sort of betrayed her. Do you guys think that somewhere in his heart Sultan still has some sort of feelings towards Sharifa? Or do you think it's all gone now?

      Delete
    3. On page 66 it is mentioned how Sultan misses Sharifa because she took care of him better than Sonya does and having Sonya as a wife is more like taking care of a child. Really the only reason he is holding on to Sonya is because "she could never find anyone better than him."

      Delete
    4. It's pretty terrible that replacing wives there is so easy, and It is very upsetting and a little disturbing that it's often a marriage within the family. With that said though, is it weird that Sharifa is so surprised by the action?

      Delete
    5. I think that Sharifa might still think that she was the pretty young girl that married Sultan. That's why she might be so shocked to why Sultan wanted a new wife. I agree with Meghan about how it is so disturbing on how easily they can replace their wives.

      Delete
    6. While I understand what you're saying, I disagree that it would be considered completely "unjustifiable." Justice is wardened by belief, and the most important and sacred beliefs are a person's religion. To the Muslims, if this practice is so widely followed, and not at all looked down upon, it is possible that, in their eyes, this is a course of action that could be justified.

      Delete
  3. Comment #2:
    7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?
    When referencing gender equality in terms of Islam, or Christianity and Judaism for that matter, I can definitely understand the belief that the man should be the head of the household. This belief goes way back to the story of Adam and Eve, and how Eve was created from the rib of Adam himself, therefore making men the original leaders. Gender equality throughout the world and in business is only fair, but personally I believe that within the household the husband should be the family leader. A family leader is someone who should help guide and protect the family; it is not someone to dictate to, force labor onto, and abuse the family. In reference to "The Bookseller of Kabul", I am one-hundred percent positive that it says no where in the Koran that when a girl and a guy take a taxi ride together and sit on a park bench, that it somehow becomes okay for an older man in the family to beat her (page 33). Although many groups and extremists attempt to manipulate their holy text of choice in order for it to become more easily applicable or convenient for their everyday lives, extreme gender inequality is not one of the topics that will ever be ethically and morally right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious as to why you believe the husband should be the family leader. I agree 100% with all of your other points, which have been excellently stated. I am just wondering if you are speaking from experience or if it is only a personal preference.

      Delete
    2. I believe that the man should be the head of the household (no oppression included in that) because of my religious beliefs. Included in that, like I said, is just to have someone to label the leader. I do not believe that in any circumstances is it okay for a man to leave his wife because she is getting old, or dictate what she must do and when she must do it. Also, I think that when a man holds the responsibility as the leader in the household he must always take into respect and consideration the views and feelings of others in the family.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your response. I can see where you are coming from with the belief, and I like that you specified how a man with the household responsibility should consider the feelings of his family members.

      Delete
    4. I agree with Sharley that is is normal in a religious household for the man of the family to be the head of the household, but that women should be equally treated in regards to making designs affecting things of the nature of children, where abouts' of the living situation etc.

      Delete
    5. I think that many years ago, the man was more fit to be the head of the household then the women. The women were not expected to work outside of the house so that they could support their families. Men were out working and were seen as the leader or the most capable out of the two. Now days we are use to women raising their children by themselves and working to support their families. I could be incredibly wrong but this is how I am interpreting this. Sharley might be thinking more of the generic family where the male is the leader or the head of the household. Bronwyn might be thinking of the more modern family where the mother is working along side of the father to support the family.

      I am very shocked by how seriously they take girls and boys interacting before marriage. I can understand punishing the girls, but beating them half to death and then starving them is a little over the top. What really scares me is that the mother of that girl (who was beaten) made her sons kill her daughter because of what she had did. We are very lucky not to be living in that type of society and I feel really bad for those who are.

      Delete
    6. Interesting point, Eleanor, about how women have "come into their own" and more recently have taken the stance of head-of-household.

      Delete
  4. 5. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?

    Our cultural background makes us respond negatively to the practice of veiling. Our background makes us think that these practices are injustices which unless the women agree with the practices they are injustices. In our culture any man or woman is allowed to wear whatever they want (with some limitations/exceptions) and women are not forced to wear certain types of clothing. If anything, women in our culture are somewhat pushed to wear less and less clothing. So, because of how our culture is very tolerant of what people wear we perceive the practice of veiling as a negative practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've also noticed that in our culture, because veiling is looked at so negatively, people do not realize that most women that wear veils, or burkas, are not forced to at all. In fact, I found it quite hard to believe that many women choose to wear scarves over their heads as an act of humbleness, reverence, and modesty towards "Allah" and the men around. I've also noticed that because gender inequality all around the world has suddenly become magnified, the majority of the stories that hit mainstream media are the ones that will cause debate, discussion, and commotion among viewers and readers, such as the forced act of veiling among women.

      Delete
    2. Do you think the attacks on 9/11 have anything to do with how we view those who wear head scarves? Before then it didn't seem we were as sensitive, but now anyone who chooses to wear the hijab, it seems, gets some sort of flak or unnecessary treatment or comment about it.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I do think that, stereotypes combined with post-9/11 fear definitely drives our culture's negativity towards veiling and hijabs. When we see a woman wearing a hijab, or some other similar type of clothing, we immediately think negative thoughts when in reality, that woman could have chosen how she dresses and voluntarily practices veiling.

      Delete
    4. I definitely think that caused us to have a bit more sensitivity to the wearing of the hijab, but I don't think it was the sole cause of our cultural division. I really think that the inequality that our country (that was based on freedom, might I add) has noticed is the base of our issue with "veiling". I definitely do think that 9/11 gave us a podium, for lack of a better word, to more actively voice our opinions on their culture.

      Delete
    5. Right, 9/11 wasn't the event that put the negative thoughts in our heads, but it probably pushed us over the edge into immediately thinking almost anything from the Middle East, especially "veiling", is negative and is an injustice.

      Delete
    6. A little late to the party, but I definitely agree with what you guys are saying. I do think that 9/11 caused quite a stir when people found out who was behind it, and they leaned to the immediate idea that anyone who wears a hijab is justifiably a bad person. I do not think that it was the main reason that people view veiling in such a negative way though. Because people have been raised and taught that that what we wear and do is the way of life, many have the idea that anything out of the ordinary is wrong and unacceptable.

      Delete
    7. I agree with everyone about how 9/11 has shaped how we interact with people who where headscarves. I think that whenever we see someone wearing one or anyone clearly Islamic we immediately think terrorist. It is extremely sad since it was only a small group of muslims who were involved in 9/11 and we immediately put that label on people. We are also more nervous around people that aren't dressed the same as we are, which normally means that they are wearing more clothing.

      We also tend to treat people with veils or headscarves differently then those without them. For soccer we play Lewiston and they normally have a couple of girls on their team that has to have their whole body covered. They wear their headscarves, long sleeves, and long pants. I tend not to know how aggressive I should be with them because they are dressed differently then I am and they aren't the norm.

      Delete
    8. Really interesting observation, Eleanor. The veil, in this case, seems to suggest that the soccer players might be more submissive, less assertive, less capable perhaps. To us, has the veil, then, become a symbol of subordination, even inferiority in some respects?

      Delete
  5. 7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    I think there should be one standard for gender equality throughout the world. To say that one gender is superior to another just does not make sense. Too many cultures treat men like they are far more important than women and in too many cultures women are treated like second-class citizens. Gender equality should be universal and no gender should be treated as lesser humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. The fact that so many women are abused and have little to no rights is astounding and absolutely nauseating. Not only women are stereo-typed and hurt to the extremes, but even sometimes men are as well, though mainly it is stereo-typing. In many societies men are normally seen as the pinnacle of the human race. Even in the U.S. there are still some very visible traces of misogynistic statements and actions. Everyone, no matter what their gender, should be seen as equal individuals.

      Delete
    2. I agree with your position on the issue of gender equality. It's true that a standard for equality between sexes should be established, because besides the physical difference that defines us as men or women, there are no actual "limitations" or "weaknesses" that make women lesser than men.

      Delete
  6. 5. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?

    The cultural background in the U.S. has shaped our perception of women and the practice of veiling in other countries, and the majority of our perception is negative. The U.S. was built on principles of freedom, and that every person is equal. The fact that in some countries women are forced to dress a certain way and cover up their bodies is not easily comprehended by Americans, and so we criticize this practice and even discriminate against those who wear the head scarf. Our perception of the forced practice in these countries also affects our reactions to those in our own home country, where some people choose to wear a head scarf based on their own beliefs. Our culture opens our eyes to injustices in the world, but closes our minds to ideas or viewpoints different than our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we have been raised and taught our whole lives that everybody is equal and that freedom is a human right. Because of this when we see a situation in which people are not treated equally we think of it very negatively.

      Delete
    2. Bronwyn, I definitely think you got it perfectly right when you said that "our culture opens our eyes to injustices in the world, but closes our minds to ideas or viewpoints different than our own." I think it is so important that we realize that if some things were traditional customs here in America that they may not seem like injustices. I do believe that in some places the whole "veiling" regime is taken way too far, but I also think that it should be brought to light that not everyone who wears a veil is forced to.

      Delete
    3. Even if they are forced to, is that necessarily bad? We're forced to do things, too: wear uniforms at certain schools, go to school, abide by our parents' rules, etc. What are cited benefits of wearing the veil?

      Delete
    4. In our culture, I think most everybody would say that if one is forced to wear the veil, then it's bad. I personally think that, too. A lot of that said, it involves culture and how people view certain practices. "We're forced to do things, too: wear uniforms at certain schools, go to school, abide by our parents' rules, etc.": that's a good point. Though, I do believe uniforms are mainly not right because that is not giving someone the choice of what they wear as long as it's "appropriate". The same for veiling. If someone wants to wear the veil, they should be able to, and they shouldn't have to if they don't want to. Since most always veiling is an islamic practice, I wouldn't say the question is what are the benefits of wearing the veil, but of pure choice and/or religion. In conclusion, a LOT of this just has to do with culture and I also agree with what Bronwyn said: "Our culture opens our eyes to injustices in the world, but closes our minds to ideas or viewpoints different than our own."

      Delete
  7. 5. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?

    America as a whole has different standards of living than most other countries. Because we've all grown up with being told that covering your face/head with anything other than a fashionable scarf automatically makes you a lesser person. Since we've grown up in a culture that allows people to wear whatever they want, whenever they want (of course with a few limitations,) we find it unequal and unfair that women are made to wear a veil, even if it is their choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree with what you said. Many people, especially in the U.S. are so used to our lack of limitations of clothing choice that when something so different comes to our to attention, normally people judge before they think. Yes, many women do choose to wear the veil and they should be able to do so, but some do not want to. I hate to state Americans as a whole because everyone's views are different, but normally when somebody sees a women wearing a hijab, they may act somewhat hostile towards them. Many Americans, mainly since 9/11, tend to be extremely wary around women who wear the hijab, thinking that there might be a possible terrorist, which is normally not the case. All in all, there is oppression only is there is a lack of choice and civil rights. Normally Americans think that if a woman wears the burka or hijab, then she is oppressed.

      Delete
  8. I thought the chapter Suicide and Song, especially the poems in the chapter, was very intense, emotional, and sad. "One woman asks God to make her a stone in the next life rather than a woman." That quote is so powerful in the way it shows how horrible it can be to be a woman in that culture. It is really sad how women are forced into marriage with men they don't love and are killed for trying to be with the men they truly love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and I also think that it is sad that so many women are legally beaten by other men in their families for even being seen with a man! If I were treated they way they treat women there, I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut, which according to them would get me in quite a bit of trouble. In regard to the poems at the end of the chapter, there is no hope laced within any of them, which is so heart breaking.

      Delete
    2. That chapter really got down to business discussing what it was like to be a woman in that type of culture. I think it really shows how the females are expected to be subservient and do everything the male says. I find it so excruciatingly difficult to grasp the fact that it is legal to beat anyone for simply meeting with someone, even if there weren't bad intentions for the future. As Sharley said, I find it disheartening that there isn't even a glimmer of in the poems, because all of the freedom that the women once had is gone forever.

      Delete
    3. I am extremely glad that we don't live in same society that they do. Most of us girls would probably already be married and wouldn't have even gone to school. That chapter helped me to understand what females go through in the Islamic culture. I would hate to do all the chores and only be able to do things if my husband said I could.

      Delete
  9. In my opinion, there should absolutely be one standard for gender equality throughout the world. In many different places, women are viewed as the inferior sex, while men are cherished like gods. In other cultures, while men are encouraged to get out into the workforce and be the backbone and support system for the family, women are expected to stay at home and do the housework and look after the kids. In my family, there is only one man in the house, my grandfather, who has never treated any of the females as lesser people. I've never been around men that treat me differently just because I am a female, and I like it that way, which is why I believe that there should be a single standard for men and women alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, it just doesn't make sense to me that people think one gender is superior to the other. It doesn't make sense that one gender, which is pretty much always women, can be persecuted and treated so horribly.

      Delete
    2. I definitely concur. I can see why most cultures and religions tend to think that men are a superior sex, and while I don't agree with it, I can definitely appreciate people's opinions. That being said, even though women are the ones most commonly expected to be the weaker sex, there is a large amount of people that think women have been and always will be the better sex. I just think that people should treat each other the way that they would appreciate being treated.

      Delete
    3. This disconnect in the world has always baffled me, that whole groups of people could believe that one human being is better than another simply because of what genitalia they possess. That, and that society then creates separate rules and standards for people based on these beliefs. Gender discrimination has been around for so long, though, I wonder how different the world would be today without it, and if events in history would have played out differently, had men and women been equal from day one.

      Delete
    4. Such an interesting conversation here. Where do we find the roots of misogyny and gender inequality in our culture and other societies? If you questioned Sultan about why men are superior, what would he say and how would he justify it?

      Delete
  10. Comment #3
    6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?
    Sharifa's story of how her husband, Sultan, didn't like how she was growing old so he got a new and younger wife really opened my eyes a little bit more to the injustices that occur in Afghanistan. I knew that Muslim women there are not treated the same as Muslim women here in America are treated, but I didn't know that men could so easily find a new wife when they felt like it. If I were put in a situation like that I would be so heartbroken tat I would most definitely question my faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you said. The novel really opened my eyes to the reality of the situation in Afghanistan with how women are treated. Also, not only did Sharifa have to deal with that, but also she had to deal with the fact that she could only divorce Sultan if she dealt with price she'd have to pay for it. She would be free in a sense but her dear children would be given as a "reward" to Sultan and she'd have no where to stay but some of her other family relatives. The lack of choice in this society is horrifying and heartbreaking.

      Delete
  11. 6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?

    The characters' personal stories expand the reader's understanding of the societies they live in through evoking emotion and response, and allowing the reader to live in their life and see their world. For example, we are given a look into Sharifa's world, and see the inner turmoil and trouble she feels over Sultan's marriage to his second wife Sonya. We are made to feel sorry for Sharifa, as well as empathize with her; if my husband was allowed to get married to as many women as he pleased, and I was expected to be fine with it, I would feel angry and upset. By providing stories we can relate to, we are given a unique look into the character's lives, and the guidelines and rules they are expected to live by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what it would be like to be Sharifa in that situation. It would be awful. Especially the situations when the first and second wives both live with the husband. That would be like torture. The ability of men to have a second wife is very unfair to women.

      Delete
    2. I would also definitely be upset if my husband was able to do that. Sharifa has put up with all of the poor decisions that Sultan has made. It kind of makes you take a step back and realize what freedom you're given compared to these characters.

      Delete
    3. It amazes me how passively women act in their culture. I mean, they're forced too, but still. It's mind blowing. I couldn't handle that.

      Delete
    4. I wish women were more out spoken about things that they don't want to do and their right. I know that if they do they could get hurt or killed, but it would still be cool to have some women speak up about their rights.

      Delete
    5. I feel like this book definitely opened my eyes on how it is there for people in Afghanistan, especially women. Being in a situation like Sharifa's would just be terrible. I also think it'd be great for women there to speak up more, but then again there is just so many consequences that could happen to a women if they did something liberating there. Also I feel like many women there probably have little to no hope that their rights will be restored, or that they don't even imagine a time like that. All in all, it's just tragic.

      Delete
    6. A shame, too, to reflect that it hasn't always been like this. As long as Islamic fundamentalists like the Taliban hold sway, there seems little hope of a women's liberation movement in Afghanistan. Life is so unstable in that region, though, that I doubt their dominion will last for long. In that sense, there lies hope in instability and unrest.

      Delete
  12. I feel the book really causes you to stop and think about your own beliefs and personal responses to the events in the story, and really shows you just how multi-faceted people are. For example, as I'm reading, I find myself feeling disgusted with things Sultan has said or done, and feeling like he is the "bad guy", for lack of a better term. But then, the story will switch to focus on him, and his beliefs about reading and books and education make me feel differently about his character, like he is a better person. I think this is really accurate, and shows that no person is black and white, good or bad; rather, we each contain a rainbow of beliefs, behaviors, and emotions, having parts of us that can be cruel and unmoving, as well as caring and loving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful insight! It is indeed hard to condemn the man entirely. Separating the belief from the man, even the conditioned behavior from the man, can help us shape a more nuanced understanding of him.

      Delete
  13. 2. Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?

    While there aren't very many people in the book that are able to find inspiration in their lives, Sultan Khan is able to find a muse in books. Whether it be poetry, history, or just fun literature, Sultan is able to find something inspiring in anything he reads. Most of the men in the book are able to find inspiration, while most of the women aren't, because they've lost all of their freedom and faith in what they believed in previously. Everything that they know has been changed, and nothing seems right for them. It shows what living in a culture like that is like. If you're a female, there are very little sources of inspiration, while if you're a male, you can find inspiration in most things. It kind of brings the gender standard of men and women into view a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the potential lack of inspiration women find in their lives also helps to keep them subservient. While men are allowed to have passions and things they enjoy, women are more confined, and see less of the world. The result is a cycle of mundane lives, searching and grasping for something to keep them going.

      Delete
  14. It is part of the Islamic culture to be married more than once, so why is Sharifa so taken back by the addition of a new wife into the household?

    Sharifa really handles it bad when the addition of a new wife, Sonian. It is more normal for a new wife to be added in that culture than it is to have a one-wife-household. Obviously it would be hard ot be "replaced" in a sense, but Sharifa almost takes it as a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it may be common for a man to take on another wife, I can see why Sharifa would be hurt. Sultan chose her as his wife, to be so suddenly replaced and no longer important to Sultan would hurt. I see it as more of a replacement as he ships her and their daughter off to Pakistan. Whereas Sonya lives with him and is treated royally by Sultan, being spoiled with delicacy foods and such. Even when Sharifa returns to Afghanistan and is living with the family for a while, she still isn't treated to the same luxuries as Sonya. That's why I think it was so hard for Sharifa.

      Delete
    2. I understand your point, Meghan. You would think that in a culture where it is not unheard-of to be replaced by another wife, it wouldn't be such a surprise for her. While I can understand why she's offended and hurt, it is a point to be made that she should have expected it before it happened.

      Delete
    3. I understand why Sharifa would be so hurt, and like Hannah said, Sultan chose her and then she basically was replaced by Sonia. Even though having more than one wife in Afghanistan is common, you could think of it as that she thought that Sultan would always be with her and love her, so she thought he'd never marry again. Her loyalty to him may have distorted her vision. Though, of course, it was Sultan that, in the end, did the action that put Sharifa in despair.

      Delete
    4. Both sides have a legitimate argument. Having a second wife is a common thing that happens in their culture, so it should not be too surprising or shocking to Sharifa. But at the same time, I understand why Sharifa is upset. I mean she was married to him for a long time and I would imagine that being replaced like that would be pretty hard to deal with.

      Delete
  15. How do we know that this is an accurate portrayal of a strict Islamic culture?

    My exchange student lives in a Islam culture where multiple wives is a common occurrence, where men are the supreme sex and the ruler of the house, and where the rules of Islam are the rules of the land, but she says her life aside from those things is completely different. How do we know this is the "average" family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author doesn't want the reader to assume this is the story of the "average" family. In the foreword, she mentioned how the family she was staying with was middle class, and that many of the other "average" families in the area would be poor farmers struggling to survive. Even then, she said "It is important to emphasize that this is the story of one Afghan family. There are many millions of others. My family is not even typical." Good point though. If I hadn't read the foreword, I would've probably posted a similar comment to the one above.

      Delete
  16. Should we be able to judge there choice?

    There is no argument that there is a 99.99% difference in culture between us and the Islamic standards of living. If we don't know personally, should we be judging? We as Americans and at people in general don't like when people judge us for our choices in life, religion, etc. so is it right to do it to them? An argument can be made that the way they live there is wrong and harmful but in many instances they think the same about us, but in our eyes the way we live is supreme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you're saying but I have something to add. With knowledge and exposure, one can have a clearer view of what they think is wrong and/or right. Reading this book and with all other resources, we as Americans can not exactly know what it's like there, but try and understand their place and views. Most certainly we do not like to be judged, no one does. Though instead of judging when someone's in a harmful place, we should be trying to help in some way, especially those higher up in our government. In conclusion, if someone is getting hurt, there is a wrong. Hurting and discriminating anyone because of their gender, appearance, race, etc. is wrong. Not standing up to something wrong because you don't want to be seen as judgmental will only make things worse.

      Delete
    2. I must say that I agree with Justina. Even though we will probably never understand what their lifestyle is like on a personal, experience-based level, we can make assumptions based upon the women's feelings towards their situation. It is important to keep in mind that even though an entire community practices something, that doesn't necessarily mean that the majority of the community truly believes in what they're forced to partake in.

      Delete
  17. 5. Our society views veiling negatively because in America it is acceptable for women to dress freely and show lots of skin. Also, part of the Islamic belief includes women covering their head and bodies to be modest. In some cases, when Islamic women don't wear the proper clothing in public, men have beaten or acted violently towards them. Our culture lets women dress freely, however there is still some expectations or limits as to how provocatively a woman can dress. But these limitations are extremely mild compared to the countries mentioned in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree, because of how women dress here is completely different from how women dress over there we automatically think that veiling is a negative and oppressive practice

      Delete
  18. I'm not very far into the book yet, so bear with my upcoming comments~
    Comment #1
    Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    While I wish there would be a standard for gender equality throughout the world, I doubt that there will be one any time soon, if there ever will be one. The only way that one could eventually be achieved is if technology advances to the point that men and women can do precisely the same thing, and if the biased generations die and the generations that view gender equally are in charge. In the early beginnings of the human race, it made more sense for men to be in charge and to be leaders because the ability to lead and to survive based solely on physical ability. Men physically are built stronger than women, which is why they were in charge. If women had the ability to naturally grow muscles like men, then women would've been in charge in the first place. However, with our advancements in technology and intelligence, leadership and survival bases not on physical strength, but on a variety of strengths; intelligence, physical strength, knowledge, money, etc. This makes both men and women eligible to lead. There should be no problem with women leading, but there are outside contributing factors. A couple examples of these are religious influence and tradition. I hope eventually there will be a standard of gender equality, but I don't see how that idea will be transitioned into reality.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Comment #2
    How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?

    We have never been in an environment as oppressive as the one in the middle east. In our culture, it is not only acceptable, but almost expected of girls and women to expose their bodies. However, in the middle east, it's the exact opposite. In the middle east, it is strictly expected for women to cover their bodies and even their faces. In America, as long as you're not fully naked, you're generally okay. We view veiling negatively because it is both oppressive, and because of the stark difference between the cultures' clothing expectations, we aren't used to it so we view it as strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenz, I wonder about the ways in which women are objectified in this country and the fact that you state "as long as you're not fully naked, you're generally okay." To me, this is still a form of oppression simply based on the fact that women are objectified and "expected...to expose their bodies." I suppose this gets into the question asked about gender equality...

      Delete
    2. I agree with what you said, Jessica. For one, in the U.S. there is still quite a lot of discrimination about girls who expose their bodies more than others, and even girls who decide to expose less. Also, I'd say that the statement "We have never been in an environment as oppressive as the one in the middle east" would be a fairly false accusation. Misogyny has been a large part of America's culture, even now, though it is of course not as extreme. Women should not be expected to show their bodies. It is OUR choice what we expose. Also, veiling is not necessarily oppressive. Some women really do want to wear the head scarf.

      Delete
  20. One of the things that strikes me the most while reading this book is that the society they live in is actually as violent and oppressive as it is portrayed in the book. Women get beat all the time for small things that they either did or didn't do. One of the real life threats that have been going on recently are acid attacks. I'm tempted to post a link below showing the results of these attacks (Photos would not be gorey, the photos were all taken after the wounds had healed) but I feel that that kind of post would be too graphic for this kind of project. If you want to see the pictures, either reply below, or just google search "acid attacks on women in middle east." The results are shocking and eye opening. I couldn't imagine loosing my face simply because I was born a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen such pictures, and the things these women have had to endure are truly atrocious. I find it extremely unsettling that such gruesome attacks on women are going on in the world, and I feel very grateful for having been born into a life in the U.S., where such assaults are not commonplace.

      Delete
  21. 4. How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?

    I think that the whole clothing restrictions for women is a way for men to feel like they are protecting their wives, sisters, and daughters from other men. By covering the women in baggy cloth, it leaves more room to the imagination then what some people wear in the United States which does not. Their outfits do not attract any unwanted eyes either. From my point of view, I think that one of the reasons they have so many restrictions on women’s clothing is because it is way for the women to be less human. They treat their women like animals. When the women get married, the husband-to-be has to buy their future wife. It is also normal for men to have a couple of wives, just like in America it is normal to have a couple of pets. Sultan bought Sonya for about $500.
    The wives are expected to jump whenever their husband say something. The women do all of the chores, cook their husband’s favorite meal, set the exact temperature for their husband’s shower, and so on.They aren’t allowed to go anywhere or do anything without their husband’s permission. When Sharifa was talking about how Sultan set her up and their youngest daughter in Pakistan, she was talking about how she couldn’t go anywhere without Sultan’s consent. They are basically slaves to their husbands. Women aren’t treated equally to men, and either they have excepted the role or they haven’t known anything different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps both, Eleanor. They've accepted it because they haven't known anything different.

      Delete
  22. 5. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?

    In our culture we have made a huge improvement for women’s rights. It is normal for women to now do things that men use to dominate. We are in the habit of seeing women being more scandalous in public or being the head of a work force. So when we see the the women in the Islamic culture being treated unequally to men, it is almost shocking because we do not live in the same society. What I think that a lot of people don’t realize about the veiling is that is a religious act that conveys a message of purity and between godliness and saintliness. In some Muslim cultures, men are also expected to where something on their heads. I think that people, myself included, tend to think that the headscarves are just for modesty and to keep unwanted men away. In the Catholic tradition, women used to be required to wear hats or something over their heads in church. It was a sign of respect and also a bit of modesty. Our standards for women have changed and we tend not to experience mush in the way of the Islamic tradition in the United States, let alone Maine, so when we see the veils and the headscarves it is a bit of a culture shock.

    I found this article, thought it might be helpful:http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/sexandgender/152/17_reasons_why_women_wear_headscarves/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great article, Eleanor. Thanks for the link. I find reasons # 7, 10, and 15 especially persuasive.

      Delete
  23. 7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    In my opinion I think that there should be a standard, but I also don’t think that some countries are not as advanced in thinking that we are. The world has become so advanced compared to a couple of hundred of years ago that we have to keep changing our ideas. In the time that Jesus might have been walking around, I would have understood if there weren’t equal gender rights but now people have become more excepting to abnormal things that we do need to change are standards. For example in the United States the main controversial topic is about whether we should allow people of the same sex to marry each other. Some countries are just not ready for those types of ideas yet. In Africa there are places where they don’t have any type of technology let alone running water. There are countries out there that are in wars going on and are too busy to think about gender equality. It would be tricky to have a standard for gender equality because it would be changing some people’s cultures and they might not be very happy about it. There could be wars started because of this knowing how silly people tend to be about new ideas. I would like it if there could be a standard, but I can understand it if there was none.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    I think there should be a standard. As we are all living and thinking creatures, this kind of cruel oppression is treating women as less than a human. Every human has the right to make their own choice but clearly this isn't happening in Afghanistan. As this passage shows, "Sonya looked down at the floor. A young girl has no right to have an opinion about a suitor." Page 5. Sonya like many other girls in Afghanistan, is forced to marry someone of not her own choice and who is old enough to be her father or grandfather. Everyone should have the right to make their decisions about their life, it is just that their life. By forcing girls into sometimes horrid marriages we are taking away their rights and someone's life. In some scenarios these women are used as slaves of the household, not allowed to work and forced to cater to families as large as 20 to a household. By not having a gender equality standard it not only causes women to be considered lower than men, but also allows a form of slavery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you've said. The fact that women in Afghanistan can't choose who they want to marry is just wrong. Not having a standard just lets things get out of control. But the thing is, it's terrible that people can't even accept these differences. It should just already be seen as wrong that women are treated so horribly. In the novel as reference, Leila is basically a slave. She does everything for the family and is not only not repaid, but also treated like dirt. This really needs to stop.

      Delete
    2. I agree too. Marriage should be about being with the person you love. Not being forced to be with some stranger just because both families agree about the marriage. And the wives and daughters are essentially personal servants to the whole family.

      Delete
  25. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?
    Comment #2
    As American women we are very lucky, we aren't oppressed as some women in other countries. As such we see any less freedom than what we have as wrong. Although there is two sides to our perception of veiling. Some women wear the veil of their own accordance. Others are forced to wear it. Some Americans see it as all around wrong, but as Americans we are much more open about our attire. In fact some women in America are chided for being too conservative, whereas in Afghanistan women are shocked by those who dress in a less conservative way. It's interesting to see such vast cultural conflict for something as simple as attire.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with the overall message being conveyed in your post, Justina. It is arguable that 9/11 is, quite possibly, the most important event in relation to the common misconceptions and feelings towards the middle-east, and even the people that live there. I feel you were right by saying that the hatred towards muslims misconstrues our feelings towards the practice.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?
    I think that there should be a standard for gender equality. I believe that it’s horrible how so many women, and even sometimes men, are oppressed just because of their gender. No one should be discriminated because of something they were born as, something they can’t help. In Afghanistan, women can’t wear what they want, they are subjugated by men and so on. In America women statistically get payed a lower wage for the same job and are sometimes looked at with disgusted for not fitting society’s image of “beautiful,” and so one. Men are supposed to fit into this box of strength and almost apathy. They have to be the “strong ones.” Well, for one, who’s to say what being “strong” is and also, why can’t women be strong? These are the reasons why there should be a standard for gender equality.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
    Though it’s very hard for the characters to assert their individuality, a couple characters do. Sultan demands respect for his books and stands up for literature. While the Taliban was in control, he was sent to jail a couple different times. Even though he still got in trouble for doing that, he was still asserting his interest and love for culture and books and now, his bookstore is still up and running. Sultan’s not the only one who asserts their individuality, though. Shakila does, too. She goes to school, (which most girls don’t even do), and she even has her own job as a teacher at one point. Then when a suitor comes, she is very skeptical about him. She asks him if he’d let her work, which most woman in Afghanistan probably wouldn’t do in her position because they have to let the man be in charge or else there’s punishment normally. She makes a comment about his bald head, which embarrasses him. Even a comment like that is rarely said by women in this country. In a way, this is all most certainly asserting her individuality. She outrightly says some things she thinks and went to school and became a teacher. She went after what she wanted. These characters are example of what it is to be yourself in a society that is so restricting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The main point of contention between Intisar and Samar in the play is their differing opinions on the practice of veiling. Which character makes the more compelling argument, in your opinion? Why?

    The play was very well done, and I was surprised to find myself struggling to pick a side. I believe this ultimately led to its power and statement, and made it very enjoyable to watch. Looking back on it, it is still difficult for me to decide upon an argument I found more compelling. This is because on one hand, Samar has been living in Egypt, and experiencing all the brutalities and controversies over wearing the veil, and Intisar is an American who has had the freedom to decide all along. On the other hand, Intisar has had to deal with discrimination based on her choices to veil, even though she is an American. I find that both had compelling arguments for the circumstances they were living in, though my school of thought lies somewhere in the middle of their two extremes. Intisar seemed very pro-veil, which I have no problem with. It was when she and Samar were arguing, and Intisar basically told Samar she was a bad Muslim for not wearing the veil that I disagreed. I feel everyone should have the choice to veil or not to veil. At first, it seemed like Samar felt this way, too, but as the play progressed, it seemed like she was fighting from a more anti-veil standpoint. For example, she criticized Intisar for wanting to wear the burqa, and then actually wearing it to the protest. I can understand that Samar was living in more pressing circumstances, as women had not always had the freedom of choice in Egypt, but it seemed to me as if Samar was pushing to not have to wear much of anything at all, such as her mother and older relatives got to in the 70s. I can understand why both of them believed in what they did, and it makes sense based on the countries they are living in. Therefore, both of their arguments are well made. However, I find a mixture of the two to be more compelling that just one, because of my own personal beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The main point of contention between Intisar and Samar in the play is their differing opinions on the practice of veiling. Which character makes the more compelling argument, in your opinion? Why?


    I think that both Intisar and Samar made very good points. Both of their points were relevant to their ways of living and their experiences. Intisar’s argument was about how it is her religious freedom to practice veiling and that muslim women should be proud to where the burka or hijab. Intisar told a story about how her mother was forced to take off her veil for the airport guards to search her on 9/11. Intisar never wants to be forced to take off her veil for anyone because of her religion. Samar, on the other hand, never wants to be forced to put on a veil just because men want her to. She would put one on if prayer or in the mosque, but not when some government or male told her to. In my opinion, I think that Samar made the more compelling argument. I think that governments and countries need to get more modern ideas on excepting of women. Samar makes a point of why men make women wear veils. She said something on the lines of that they just want women covered up some not all the attention is on themand to make them less human. They also wanted women to be covered up so they could protect the women from unwanted eyes. I think that Intisar’s argument is an important subject in America, but women aren’t in as much danger in America as they are in Egypt for thinking in these ways.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Veils Response:
    Both Intisar and Samar made very good and interesting points. I thought it was very interesting how their opinions were different from what their cultural backgrounds would lead you to believe. Intisar, from America, wanted to be allowed to veil and not be persecuted because of it. Samar, from Egypt, hated veils and thought that it was a sign of patriarchy and women being oppressed. I thought Samar made a slightly more compelling argument though. I think she made a better argument just because of how when women are forced to veil it represents more than just veiling, their freedom is taken away. Not to say that Intisar's argument is not valid, because people should be allowed to veil if they want to. But Samar's argument seems like a bigger issue in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with what you said. Though Intisar's arguments were compelling, I feel like Samar's arguments on how veiling can be oppressive is a bigger problem in the world right now. But then again, forcing someone to wear something is just as bad and forcing someone and telling someone that they can't wear something.

      Delete
  32. The main point of contention between Intisar and Samar in the play is their differing opinions on the practice of veiling. Which character makes the more compelling argument, in your opinion? Why?

    Intisar and Samar both have very different opinions of veiling, but I think Intisar makes the more compelling argument. Intisar explains more what veiling means to her, and it seems that Samar just goes with the flow by not veiling. Intisar explains past stories about veiling and how it's very important to her because she wants to be the best Muslim she can be. Intisar explains how she has always been questioned because she's black and she wears a veil, but she doesn't care, the veil is part of her. Intisar is the better choice maker, but not necessarily the better Muslim. Samar still cares, they just have different opinions of veiling. But, Intisar had more of an effect in her argument of wearing the veil. I could see as a spectator, how important veils are to Muslims and why. Intisar had me more convinced than Samar did about veiling.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Which character makes the more compelling argument, in your opinion? Why?

    To me, both Intisar and Samar's view on veiling is compelling and I agree with them both in some senses. Personally, I would in no way desire to practice another religion's customs by force, nor would I enjoy being forced to do something that I just do not want to do. When one thinks of a Muslim practice, veiling is often one of the first few things to come up, and it says in the Koran that woman are to wear a head covering. This is the main reason why, if I were to choose, Intisar's argument is the most backed-up argument in terms of the religious background behind the decision to veil or not. It is just as unjust to force someone to wear a veil as it is to force someone not to wear a veil. Overall, no one in the world should be forced to practice or not to practice a specific religious custom. I think that the clash that was found between Samar and Intisar was surprising. I would expect an American to be more excited to fight for freedom, and someone of the Muslim religion who is from the Middle-East to support veiling. This play truly did squash two stereotypes while opening our eyes to realize that while our opinions do differ, most can be related to one common denominator: freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  34. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
    Comment #3

    One character who tries to assert herself is Leila. Leila tries to become an English teacher. Even after initially being turned down she works hard to get registered. Her determination even when she doubts herself is so strong. Even though she does not become a teacher, she tried and was hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?
    Comment #4

    Seeing Leila and other women work as slaves to the families is awful. Leila's story was especially saddening. She had hopes and for it all to be crushed so quickly by her brother saying bad things about her to the boy that liked her. Leila wanted to be a teacher and that didn't work out. She wanted to marry Karim who would free her of the hard work she has to do, but he was scared away. Now she's stuck taking care of a large family against her will. That was really hard to read and so cruel for her.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Which character makes the more compelling argument, in your opinion? Why?
    Comment #5
    I think Samar makes a more compelling argument. Instiar has a very strong opinion and she makes it hard to side with her when she's essentially dissing Muslims that don't wear the head scarf. As she said along the lines of "God said to dress modestly..it seems pretty simple to me, wear the headscarf." Whereas Samar doesn't wear the headscarf and she enjoys not wearing one. She might have a more negative view of headscarves but only ones that are rather extreme in her opinion. Samar has a right to that though as she's scared that she might be forced to wear one, she's seen it happen in other countries and it may happen in her country. Instiar lives in America she doesn't have to fear that, she comes from a place where she may get weird looks, but she will never be forced to wear a burka. Instiar doesn't understand the fear that Samar has of the headscarf and as such does not make as compelling of an argument.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The part of the book when the women and girls were washing together there was a sentence or two about Leila and how her body was being affected by the veiling. "For a long time, Leila felt dizzy and weak; when she eventually went to see the doctor, he said she needed sun and vitamin D." (165). This shows how veiling is actually damaging her health. So being forced to veil is not just suppressing her and taking her freedom, it's actually physically hurting her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Harper! They also mention how difficult it is to walk in the burkas and how one can't see well with the screen. Also the scene at the bath house showed how the women hated the dirty, smelly burka, or how each burka had a smell depending on the women. To me that sounds awful!

      Delete
    2. I think that with all the new technology out there, somebody could definitely design a piece of cloth that would let women still wear veils or burkas but still get the sun to their skin to keep them healthy.

      Delete
    3. When I read this part of the book, I guess it didn't quite hit me like this, but seeing your post makes me definitely realize how the Burka can be repressive in more ways than one. If one chooses to wear a burka and takes the health risks into consideration, then it is not so bad. But when a woman is forced to wear a burka and has to suffer through health complications, then the repression of the religious practice is taken to a more serious level.

      Delete
  38. 6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?

    When the story is centered towards the women it is very interesting. Because stereotypically when the women are covered by the burkas you just see a burka walking around, not an actually person. The men even call the women "burkas". So when the story is about women it shows that they actually have personalities, dreams, and desires. They seem emotionless on the outside because you can't actually see them, but on the inside they are human beings with real emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a lot of westerners also see women in burkas this way, as just figures hidden by cloth, not real people. Stories like "The Bookseller of Kabul" are important for us to read because it makes us really look at the people under the coverings, and realize they all have hopes and dreams and lives of their own.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree. When we see women in burkas we see big blobs of clothing or tents walking and not actual women.

      Delete
    3. I agree that when a woman wearing a burka is seen she is, a lot of the time and sadly, looked at as just a burka. When we read stories from a woman's view point, it helps us break common stereotypes and helps us to realize that these women under a piece of cloth really do have hopes, dreams, and feelings.

      Delete
  39. Veils play response:
    I think that Samar had a more compelling argument towards the practice of veiling. Her argument was that the practice of veiling isn't what represents the amount of belief or faith to the Islamic religion, that it is a choice for each individual person to decide how they want to express their religion. Intisar had a bias towards veiling because of her past, the incident at the airport with her mother and also her great relative's experience of being auctioned off. She assumed that the "good Muslims" were the ones dressed in burkas and full headscarves, and that Samar wasn't as faithful as her because of her choice to not veil. Intisar strongly felt that her headscarf brought her closer to god and that she was "naked" without it. However, like Samar pointed out, some people were only veiling because of peer pressure or to fit in like one of her younger relatives. Intisar's view on veiling was more backed up by her own personal beliefs rather than other examples, which is why I found Samar's argument more compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Whenever the book talks about what life was like for them when the Taliban was in control, I'm always shocked by the rules that were put in place. Like when the soldiers would come and burn books with pictures of living creatures one them or the pictures of babies on the shampoo bottles were scribbled out. Or how they couldn't listen to music or dance. Or how dolls were taken away from little girls. This stuff seems so random and just doesn't make sense. Not to forget that women were, and still are for the most part, suppressed and had their freedoms taken away. It's such an injustice that wives and daughters basically become slaves to their families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with what you've said. A lot of the rules the Taliban set out were just random and strange and just oppressive, in general. On page 234, it talks of how once, a teenage boy stole some food because his family was in poverty and were starving and then when the Taliban found out, they cut off his right hand. That's just way too cruel. I mean that isn't as random because stealing is a crime, but still.

      Delete
    2. I always fail to see the point of the rules put in place by extremist groups, other than to inflict fear in the people they are trying to control. The more extreme the rules, the more afraid people will be, and the easier they will be to take charge of. I, too, failed to see any connection in the rules put in place by the Taliban; some I could see as being religious offenses, such as going against what the Koran said, but prohibiting things like kite flying and washing clothes by a river seem very unnecessary.

      Delete
    3. Justina, they might have cut off the boys right hand because that might have been the hand that he took the food with. It might have been a way to teach him not to steal anything. I definitely agree with you guys about some of the rules that the Taliban put it up. Some of them don't really make sense and are random.

      Delete
    4. I agree that these bans were random for the most part and that there really is no need to take away the little girl's dolls, and burn books. These are all just petty orders put in place so the Taliban could show the people of Afghanistan who was in control. It is okay for a ruler to demonstrate their control in a benign way, but the Taliban instilled fear and pain among these people, which is not fair to anyone.

      Delete
  41. The main point of contention between Intisar and Samar in the play is their differing opinions on the practice of veiling. Which character makes the more compelling argument, in your opinion? Why?
    Though both characters did have a compelling argument, I think that Samar makes a more compelling argument. She asks the question of why people wear the veil normally, really, and not just assume, in a sense, that it is purely just of religious practice. Intisar mainly just argued against people NOT wearing the headscarf, though I did think of it as important and interesting about her reasoning behind why she wore it. Meanwhile, Samar took into consideration that maybe in their culture the burka and the headscarf are just oppression. The men think of them as objects so they must look like objects, and that it's just part of the culture. Obviously not in all cases people wear it because of oppression, just like Initar's case.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I couldn't help but notice, of course, about how many people really are affected by how repressive Afghanistan's society is and how many people work day-in and day-out just to survive and how many people are in poverty and are in pain. On page 177, one sentence affected me, it was: "She is like Cinderella, except there is no prince in Leila's world." Leila is a servant in her household and only wants more freedom and opportunity. All Leila wants to do is get away from her oppression. Also a few pages later, page 180, it states: "A new day begins, to the sound of 'Allahu akhbar' - God is great. A new day that smells and tastes like every other day: of dust." That explains itself, talking about Leila's life. And then there's also Aimel, who is 12 years old and working twelve hours each day. He'd have enough money to go to school if Sultan let him but Sultan is too busy with making sure money is made in shops. Aimel dislikes his job so much that he calls his stand "the dreary room." There is a passage on page 210 showing how he's been effected by his situation: "Aimel became increasingly unwell and unhappy. His face turned pale and his skin sallow. His young body stooped and lost its resilience. They called him "the sad boy." Then later, Aimel states that his "heart bleeds" (212). Then, on page 213: "It felt better that his heart bleed for the dead minister then for his own lost childhood." That broke my heart when I read that. Then, there is also the situation of the carpenter's family and how his whole family is dirt poor and barely surviving on the little food they have. In conclusion, there is just an excessive amount of tragedy in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories of the individual characters you have mentioned I found heartbreaking as well. The thought of being forced into a life of servanthood for your family and not being able to get our makes me want to cry, as well as someone as young as Aimel giving up on life, especially when other opportunities are possible. The whole situation with Jalaluddin I found absurd; so much time and energy was wasted on a poor man trying to feed his family. I feel you are correct in the thought that there is much tragedy in that country.

      Delete
    2. I think that working for your family has it's time and place but these people are servants for their families and it has gotten to the point where it is just ridiculous. These people do not get to live their lives the way they want to and I would most likely feel the same way that Aimel did if I was put into his situations.

      Delete
  43. 3. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
    In more restrictive settings with different kinds of leaders, the characters are affected. When the Taliban took over, people started repressing them selves to the extreme, even when they were in pain, in fear of the Taliban. Once the Taliban died off, people, especially women, started letting up. They could wear fingernail polish and could wear whatever shoes they wanted, which they couldn't do before. Things lightened up a bit, not completely, but some to make everything at least a little bit better. The same seems to go for many other events that have taken place in Afghanistan.

    ReplyDelete
  44. 6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?
    Leila's story and many other character's stories most certainly expand my understanding of the societies in which they live. Leila is a servant to her own family and has never truly gotten what she's wanted in her life. Her life is dust and she is a maid. That is not how it should be. Reading about Leila's experience really has opened my eyes about how their society is. Women have to do all the house work and the youngest siblings are treated worse than the older ones. Then Aimel, only twelve years old, works twelve hour days. He is weary and then his life is dreary, just like his shop. I now have a better knowledge of what it's like in Afghanistan, and other countries like that now because of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  45. 7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    I believe there should be one standard for gender equality throughout the world. This is because in the end, we are all human beings, all living on the same Earth. I believe everyone deserves respect and equality in all areas of their lives, if they so desire. For example, I believe men and women should get the same educational opportunities and should be paid the same amount for the same job. However, some cultures in the world, such as those found in the Middle East, revolve around the inequality between men and women, and the results of gender equality may vary. This is because things have been this way for centuries, and a change may be hard to take. For example, the household rules in the Khan family dictate what everyone does, and while characters such as Leila and Mansur are unhappy, things run smoothly and the family is well off. Overall, I believe it would be beneficial to society, and we should work towards one standard for gender equality.

    ReplyDelete
  46. 4. How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?

    The practice of veiling and the restrictions on dress in general are reflective of the cultural attitudes toward gender roles. This is because who and what is covered, and where and when they are covered, is dictated by what is considered appropriate and "right" in their culture. For example, men are the leaders in Afghan culture, and women are their supporters, so to say, and this is reflected in the way they dress. Women do not veil inside of the home, in most cases, as the people in the house are allowed to see them, because they are family. However, when women go out, they must be careful of what they wear and will probably choose to veil, as people outside of the family should not see the women. Men are the leaders, so they are allowed to be a little less covered; however, their overall culture and dress for all genders is much more modest than ours. These cultural attitudes affect all of the characters' lives, both positively and negatively. Sultan Khan's life was improved by these attitudes, as he got to receive the best his whole life. As the first born son, he got to go to school and was pampered, the pride and joy of the family. He went on to be the leader of his house, getting to call all the shots and make the final decisions. Life was very different for his youngest sister Leila, who had been forced into a life of virtual slavery for the family, cooking and cleaning for them, staying up late and being the brunt of all the jokes. She wasn't allowed to retaliate or show discontent, though; it wasn't her place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree Bronwyn! Women are forced to take on a much more quieter and less prominent role. It's unfair for those who aren't the first born sons or are a girl.

      Delete
    2. I agree. The only people who have it good are the first born sons or some males when they get older too.

      Delete
  47. 3. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
    Comment #6
    When the Taliban took over everyone lived in fear. It was a time where fun activities were banned, women were stripped of even more rights and couldn't even go out on their own. The cruelties of the Taliban is still fresh in everyone's mind as the women still wear Burkas in fear of rulers who might punish them for not wearing one. They all are scarred from the Taliban rule and hope to return to the monarchy that left them with more freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  48. 1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?

    A lot of the characters express their individuality within the limits and rules. Women can express themselves with some of the jewelry and the colors of their clothes that they wear. For men it can be a lot easier because they don’t have as many rules as the women do. Men can show their individuality through their cars, if they have them, and also in their clothes. Also the books that men and women read also show their individuality. The more rules the more difficult it is for people to express themselves. Women are restricted to only where certain scarves or types of covers that only come in so many colors. It is not like in America where we can wear really whatever we want. They also don’t have the same society where they get to choose different colors and styles for school supplies or decorations in their rooms, for some examples. Even if they wanted to express themselves it would be very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  49. 3. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?

    Every character in this book are effected by the event/changes in the society in some way. The majority of them don’t like the changes but they go along with them in fear of getting in trouble with the government or bringing dishonor to their families. That doesn’t mean that some of the characters still went on with the same way they did things before the Taliban came in and mixed everything up. For instance Sultan still sold books with pictures and non-regulated books after the Taliban put up the rules concerning books. For Shakila, however, her whole life was turned upside down because of the Taliban rules. She was not able to be a teacher anymore and even if she wanted her husband would have to give his permission. The Taliban also put rules for not allowing women to wear nail polish, but at Shakila’s wedding, some of the girls still wore some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a shame that when a new rule is placed, or there is a disagreement with a rule, the people just have to go along with it, unlike here in America where if we disagree with something we can voice our opinion and do our best to change what we don't like. I also think it is amazing how the characters handle these hard situations most of the time. Even though there is virtually nothing they can do about their circumstances, they still make it through every day.

      Delete
  50. 6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the
    societies in which they live? 

    The personal stories are obviously personal, first of all. We get to see the characters perspective of their stories so it is like having their voices in our heads. We get to understand their reasoning and their opinions. If we didn’t have the personal stories and Åsne was just telling them from second person, we wouldn’t be getting the same aspect as we are with the characters telling the stories. If the stories were also told in second person we wouldn’t be getting the same experience in that we would only have are own opinions and start making assumptions and be able to see the actual character’s side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that if we got the stories from a point of view from someone other than the person who experience it, we would not truly know how each event occurred. I think it really broadens how we see these societies when we hear stories from the oppressed and from the un-oppressed.

      Delete
  51. Play response:

    I don't think either character had a very good argument, but Intisar's argument made the most sense to me. She was simply following what she thought the will of God was. However, Samar's reasons not to veil were just as real. Because of the society she has grown up in, she views veiling as oppressive. If Intisar had grown up in the unstable environment of Egypt, I doubt she would view veiling the way she does. I didn't like either argument really because they were entirely one sided and neither made much of an effort to understand the views of the other. I think people should just practice religion however they want.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Comment 6: How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?

    The characters' personal stories expand our understanding of the societies in which they lives in many ways. One of these ways is by opening out eyes to the facts that these lifestyle's truly do exist beyond the borders of our country, and they are not always just. The personal stories eland our understanding by teaching us that there are injustices, and there are different ways of life and the people affected by these injustices react the same way all over the world. The personal stories are a way to connect the reader to the book emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Comment 5: How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?

    The countries that practice veiling more faithfully are Muslim countries which also happen to be the countries in which gender roles come up more often. Veiling reflects these cultures because the cultures of Muslim countries are based on the Koran. The Koran talks a lot about men being in charge and the important of veiling, so that is what is done. Veiling reflects attitudes towards gender roles because veils continuously remind those around the Muslim countries what the country stands for, so they remember things from the Koran like gender roles. These attitudes affect the characters lives by pressuring them into doing things and wearing things that they don't necessarily want.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Comment #4: Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?
    I've noticed that many of the characters have a hard time finding any inspiration at all. In a few personal stories people talk about how they would like to die. With all of the problems that occur in Afghanistan with the Taliban, it is hard to find inspiration anyway because of all of the restrictions they place on life. Sultan Khan was an exception to those who found no inspiration. I noticed that he found his inspiration and drive in books and reading and selling them. Although he is only one example, this was the most prominent to me because of the restrictions that the Taliban placed on pictures and books and what not. He always continued to do what he loved and what inspired him.

    ReplyDelete